Sunday, May 21, 2006

Life in Dubai

Its 10:08 Am on Sunday May 21, 2006, 2:08 AM EST.

Sunday is a work day in Dubai, our weekends here are Thursday and Friday, so technically its Tuesday.

A little background as to why I am here:
The Dubai Internal airport (www.dubaiairport.com) is expanding. They are adding a third terminal, a state of the art beast that looks like a huge catepilar. (http://dubaiairport.com/DIA/English/TopMenu/About+DIA/New+Projects/)

Arinc, the company I work for,has been subcontractecd to be the primary systems integrator of a number of airport subsystems. En Inglais: We collect data from other parts of the airport, store it, and transmit it to other parts of the airport. These systems include baggage handling, passenger loading and unloading, billing, et cetera. Capish?

My team in Annapolis is the engineering group responsible for developing the code which will run at the airport. I am here in Dubai to interface with all the subsystem vendors here, and transmit information back to the engineers back in the states.

I would say I am just now acclimated to the environment. Yesterday was my first work day here. I was having a hard time with the heat, the high yesterday was 108, the low, 79.

We had a meeting with the prime contractor and the gate operating system yesterday in the temporary offices setup right outside the construction site. Second to working in a steel mill for my internship, this has been the most interesting place I've been.